An open source photo editing software gives you image editor tools and features for free. If you are looking free photo editing software like Photoshop, you can install free open source image editor for Windows, Mac or Linux. These free editing programs capable for doing everything from retouching digital photos to creating original sketches and vector illustrations.
Whether you want a powerful free picture editing software or basic Instagram-style free photo editor that offers a range of one-click filters. Here are the best open source image editors that are perfect for your editing works.
Top Free Open Source Image Editors for Windows, Mac, and Linux
GIMP is the best open source photo editing software for Mac OS X, Windows, GNU/Linux, and more operating systems. With this image manipulation tool, users can edit photos, create original artwork and retouch images. It has more advanced features compared to other open source photo editor so it is suitable for professionals and hobbyists alike. Download GIMP
GIMP can be customized to more closely resemble Photoshop in several ways:
- Photoshop plug-ins can run in GIMP using another plug-in called PSPI.
- GIMP emulates Photoshop brushes and layer styles.
- The Photoshop interface layout can be emulated by downloading a modified version of GIMP called Gimphoto, which is based on an older version of GIMP.
- Advanced digital photo retouching
- Perspective distortion fixing tools
- Customizable interface
- Support for multiple file formats
2. Paint.NET v3.36
Paint.NET is easy to use free image and photo manipulation application for Windows platform. It supports some advanced image editing features such as layers, color curves, and filter effects, plus the usual array of drawing tools and brushes. Download Paint.NET v3.36
- Special effects tools include: blurring, sharpening, red-eye removal, distortion, noise and embossing.
- 3D Rotate/Zoom effects make it very easy to add perspective and tilting.
- Image manipulation tools include: brightness, contrast, hue, saturation, curves, and levels. You can also convert an image to black and white, or sepia.
Pixen is specifically designed to create pixel art graphics including icons and sprites, which are typically low-resolution images produced and edited at the per-pixel level. With features including a unique color palette system, patterns, layers, and high-zoom support, Pixen packs all the tools pixel artists need in an intuitive, native interface. Pixen open source photo editor is only available for Mac OS X operating system.
Inkscape is a very good open source editor for vector graphic illustrations, comparable to Adobe Illustrator. This is a free professional vector graphics editor for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux. Inkscape is best for illustrator, designer, web designer or anyone who needs to create some vector imagery. Download Inkscape
- Flexible drawing tools
- Object manipulation
- Broad file format compatibility
- Powerful text tool
- Good Rendering
- Bezier and spiro curves
- Color picker tool
Krita is a professional free and open source painting program. It can be used for basic photo editing, but its primary strength is creating and editing original artwork such as paintings and illustrations. Krita is available for Windows 10 and Linux.
PhotoScape is a simple free photo editor software for Windows 10, Windows 7, Windows 8 and Mac. You can find a wealth of features like raw conversion, photo splitting and merging, animated GIF creation, and more. Download Free PhotoScape